Saturday, August 17, 2013

Yes, Some Of This Is Your Fault. But, Thanks.


Yes, this man was a myriad of things to me over my lifetime.  Father, judge, tormentor, drill sergeant, protector, critic, motivator, nemesis....the roles he played are too numerous to name them all.

Mostly, he was an example.  Good or bad, he showed me what I will and won't tolerate in my life, and for that, I thank him. 

He also gave me the backbone and the nerve to say things straight out, to call it like I see it. Dad didn't believe in putting on a front so that you appeared to be something you weren't. It was more of an in your face, this is me, deal with it kind of thing. That can be good, but it can be trying at times. Especially when others are so busy trying to put on an act. Dad always said that the one pointing the finger at others was the one who you had to watch out for. Like he said, when you're pointing your finger at someone, you have even more pointing back at you.

No matter what you thought of him, he was always himself. I am thankful that he passed that on to me, because I can't imagine how tiring it would be to be hiding behind a mask all the time.

I'm opinionated, I'm sarcastic, I'm random, but I'm also the most honest and loyal person you can have in your corner...as long as you're the same way with me. I don't look out for only myself while pretending to stay on the straight and narrow. I probably should look out for myself more, but I'm just not wired that way. Now don't get me wrong, if you play me falsely, I will set things straight.

I don't play the poor me card. I choose to handle things instead. I face it head on, get things done and then move on.

For that, I thank you, Dad. He believed in more than one liberty, he was a firm believer in freedom of expression, and practiced it often.

Now about that baggage you left, Dad.